Friday, February 12, 2010

Have opossums been known to attack rabbits?

I have a pet rabbit living in a cage in our back yard. Every so often a family of opossums comes by to eat fruit from our fig tree. But, I am afraid that they may turn their attentions from our fig tree to our pet rabbit. These opossums can easily tear thru the cage if they wanted to. Any suggestions what to do?Have opossums been known to attack rabbits?
I really wouldn't worry about the rabbit unless it is a baby. The biggest thing that I have read about them eating are roof rats. As long as there are plenty of figs and small rodents and bugs around, the rabbit should be fine. Opossums are pretty big chickens, and rabbits aren't as sweet and docile as they seem to be.





I have seen opossums chasing after dogs and cats before, but that was because it was a mother protecting its babies. They hiss and chase when they are scared, but if they really think that they are in danger, they play dead ';hence the term, ';play opossum';.Have opossums been known to attack rabbits?
I've seen it happen when one has been aggravated.
yes-and it must be very scary for your rabbit-they have hands that can open a safe so protect and isolate your rabbit
I not think they will hurt the rabbit. They may look mean, but, they not. Now, backed into a corner one may fight out of fear.


When I lived in Texas years ago, we had a house on Lake Worth. There was this Opossum living under the house, as there were many animals around the lake when people looked. The neighbor had a cat and they were best friends. It was funny watching them play together. But they never hurt each other.
opossums are horibble little creatures..your rabbit is proably scared of them....make sure your rabbit is safe..some opossums have rabbies....i dont think your rabbit is in danger though, the opossums are scavengers and are perffectly happy with the fig tree..
It shouldn't bother your rabbit because they'd rather eat something already dead then have to kill it themselves. Plus they usually like fruits and vegetables the most anyway. If your bunny was a baby I would be more worried because they have been known to sometimes kill rats.
I had a bunch of chickens.. HAD..........I got a live trap , a leg trap, and a .22 cal. i no longer have chickens but i have less possums and raccoons too. (i always let the cats go)
Don't worry. The opposums will have no interest in your rabbit. They're strict vegetarians.
I can only say this because I have witnessed it. About a few months ago I witnessed a possum chasing a rabbit in my back yard here in NJ. I'm not sure if it was an attack or playing, but just be careful. Try to make sure you have heavy gage wire or metal for the cage or just move it closer to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment