Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What FOODS are safe to leave for OPOSSUM that comes to my front door every night? Read dry cat food harmful!?

This website discusses the dangers of feeding an improper diet:


http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/metaboli鈥?/a>What FOODS are safe to leave for OPOSSUM that comes to my front door every night? Read dry cat food harmful!?
They like table scraps and canned cat food, not dry. They are carrion eaters.What FOODS are safe to leave for OPOSSUM that comes to my front door every night? Read dry cat food harmful!?
Fruit and vegetables.
if trash tastes good it don't matter. and cat food will not harm them , that's a myth
You should research what its diet is. Go around in the woods and collect it. Leave a pile of it. It would probably just slow it down if you fed it any human food.
Well, a 'possum will eat just about anything, but they are particularly fond of PERSIMMONS. You can find them at most international markets and some of the regular grocery stores.





Be careful and don't try to pet this thing,.. he'll bite the crap out of you!


-----
Possums will eat anything. Like hot snake I had a possum in my back yard. It actually lived in the dog house. Ate my dogs food and any scraps that I put out. Even stayed in there with the dog. After a while he didn't even curl up and play dead when I came out. Found out a little while later the old lady that owned the house before me had found him as a baby and raised him. I never did try to pet him because they can be very nasty. Good luck to you and your possum
why on earth do you want to feed an opossum?
I saw this question and had to answer it. Opossums will eat just about anything and cat food (dry, wet or canned) will not hurt them one bit and for a opossum, having a regular food source is a blessing.


Now for the story:


Not too many years ago, I lived out in the country (no, I am talking about WAY OUT in the country -- 10 miles to the nearest store kind of way out). I had yard cats (7) and would feed them on the concrete walk at night and after a while I had opossums (3) that came to dinner and a short time later skunks (2) as well. I enjoyed watching them eat -- cat, cat, skunk, cat, opossum, cat ( you get the idea). After a while, I could walk out among them all, cats, skunks and opossums and none of them even cared that I was among them.


You may find that after a short amount of time you will have a yard pet (or several) that you did not intend on having but any interaction with wildlife can create a lifetime of nice memories. Enjoy.
  • c++
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment