Sunday, February 7, 2010

Keeping an Opossum in California?

If I get a captive breed opossum as a pet, is it legal to keep in California?Keeping an Opossum in California?
FEMALE opossums make great pets if you work with them and train them every single day. Males will turn and get aggressive and make nasty housemates.





It IS illegal to own them in almost all states. Disease is also an issue, as NO vets will treat these animals for ANYTHING.





Ultimately, however, it's your own choice to keep or not to keep. There is a 300$ fine (minimum) here in OR for owning one. I had an opossum for a very long time until she died of old age, and to date she was better than ANY stinky cat or boring old dog. But looking back... the risks weren't worth her companionship.Keeping an Opossum in California?
.. those are scary.
No.


There are laws against keeping wildlife. Especially native species. Check with animal control, or you city's website for more information.





Plus, even ';bottle babies'; will turn on their mommies. They are quite vicious and can't be kept easily in captivity.





Volunteer with a wildlife rehabilitation facility. You will learn about the realities of caging wildlife, and you will be able to interact with wildlife, do good, make a difference, in a positive way.





Pet opossums rarely have long happy lives.


Plus, the risk of rabies just isn't worth having them as pets.
Check with the animal control anomalously, as I am pretty sure they are considered a wild animal....


I had a baby one who decided to live at my house once, my girlfriend and I took it to the mountains...since it wouldn't leave and came in my doggie door to eat my cat food... I considered keeping it, but it was a wild animal and there may have been fines involved if I did. That was about 20 years ago.....LOL.... I live in So. Cal....
Don't know about the law but they do not make good pets.
I don't see why not. They're squished on the roads all the time. But I think you would have to be careful and make sure other people and children don't get bitten by them.
those are over grown rats!! It reminds me of that rat from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment