Sunday, February 7, 2010

Is something wrong with an opossum if it comes out in the daytime?

I have seen the same opossum two days in a row, walking along my ivy-covered fence. Since opossums are nocturnal, does this mean there is something wrong with the opossum? If so, what should I do to help it?Is something wrong with an opossum if it comes out in the daytime?
If it's acting normally otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Though nocturnal animals are MORE active during the night, that doesn't mean that they are not active at all during the day. I've seen many raccoons and other nocturnal animals moving about during the day, if they think that they can find food better or stay safer by doing so, they will, it's just something they do to survive.Is something wrong with an opossum if it comes out in the daytime?
Usually when a nocturnal creature is spotted in the day time means that the animal is sick with rabies. Don't chase it or corner it and just don't go anywhere near it. If it is sick it can easily turn on you and bite you. I live in the country and a few years back we had rabid wild animals here. Two of the best pieces of advice I can give you in ridding this potential danger is either a) shooting it or b) call your local animal shelter/hospital or game warden and report it. Rabid animals are very dangerous around adults as well as children not to mention other pets and property.





By having it destroyed is helping it, it may seem cruel and harsh, but if it isn't, it could hurt or possibly kill someone or something else.





Good luck! I hope I was some what helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment