Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I get rid of an Opossum in my shed?

I believe there is an opossum living in my shed. I saw it on my back porch the other day and now my fiance thinks he saw it moving in our shed. any suggestions as to how I can get rid of it??How do I get rid of an Opossum in my shed?
A 16 gauge shotgun has always worked for me. Make sure there's no cat, dog or other food around for it as they'll eat, literally, anything. Worse than a buzzard. Seal any and all holes, in the shed, through which it can crawl. Make sure it isn't in the shed before you close it for the night. Do make sure you close the shed each and every night. If you have to evict it, from the shed, be careful and have a long stick handy. They're slow but have wicked teeth.How do I get rid of an Opossum in my shed?
If you live within the city limits of a larger urban area you can all Animal Control and they will lend you a trap, you trap it, they haul it away to the wild.


If you don't, you can either kill it but that wouldn't be nice.





Some people have had good luck with a box of moth balls spread all over the floor of sheds and small outbuildings. Rodents don't like the smell most of the time. Who knows with 'possums though, they might eat them.





Otherwise, just find out how the thing is getting in and board it up tightly. They are masters at digging, very strong for their size, so you have to do a good job blocking their entrance.
Firearms!





Or you could be humane, get a live trap like what the dogcatchers use to catch cats, they sell them pretty cheap at home depot. Creatures for some reason love cat food, so put some cat food in there and put it in the shed. Don't leave it outside you will attract all kinds of creatures.
get a loaner trap from the local animal control dept.(free) and trap it. might be looking for food or a nest for the winte.. Funny looken aren't they? I f you have MR.O I'm surprised you dont have racoons too. their my problem. you cant really get wild life to go away.. you have to help them on their journey...some ones gonna tell some hoccus poccus on this site. but easiest is to relocate. PS. I tired of trapping them and use my Bow to dispatch them now days, lot less work
just leave the shed door partially open. keep a light on and a radio playing. they will soon leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment