Friday, February 12, 2010

My dog killed an opossum..does he has rabies?

I let my dog in the backyard.. and he saw this possum and just attacked it like the trex in jurassic park.. he bit it.. threw it to the ground.. hit it with his paws.. and then held it in his mouth and shook his neck violently and threw it back on the ground..then he came running back in the house all drooling and stuff...my dog did not get bitten.. but i want to know if my dog will get rabies?.. he got all his shots and stuff whatever is required... but he killed the possum tonite.. is it cool to let him just be?My dog killed an opossum..does he has rabies?
If he is current on his rabies shot, he will be fine.





Call your vet, because the call is free, to see if your should booster the rabies shot.My dog killed an opossum..does he has rabies?
If the dog had all of his rabie shots then you probably have nothing to worry about. but you might want to just take the possum and get it checked for rabies, just in case. or you can take your dog and get her checked for rabies. either way, it will take about ten days to get the results. make sure you give your dog a bath and if you would feel safer get an old toothbrush and some dog toothpaste. that really works with my dogs, but I've been brushing their teeth since they were six weeks old. I hope I've helped you!
get him to vet. Did you not get his shots? Maybe you should just in case it happens again.
check with the vet, but watch them closely til you can get them there. look for eating changes, bowel changes, mood changes
Take him to the vet to get a rabies shot, better safe than sorry.
Well if your dog gets ';all his shots'; I would expect that a rabies vaccine was included. Your veterinarian may want to booster him just to be safe. Having a dead animal rabies tested does involve decapitation - your local veterinarian or animal control officer can probably help with that. If your dog is not up to date on its rabies vaccine then a 10 day quarantine at a veterinary facility is an option - you cannot quarantine a potentially rabid dog in your HOME - I think the CDC would have a big problem with that.





You should see your veterinarian ASAP.





Oh, and a opossum is a marsupial - not a rodent.
Well I would take the dog and the dead opossum to the vet and have them both tested!
Ur dog will be fine---The back yard is his terrirtory--My dogs kill coons, possums and other varments. Your dog will be fine
u should take him to the vet if he acts funny, but he should b funny
no, I don't think the possum has rabies, well at lest the possum didn't die of rabies.








get the dog to a vet if you are concerned, but the dog should be OK
Please dont take ur dog to the vet to be tested for rabies...They would have to cut off his head, and I dont think he would be the same when u get him back...duh. But get the rodent checked, and make sure ur dog is up to date on his Rabies vaccine. The vet may want to update it either way. Or you could wait 10 days, keep ur dog confined - IN THE HOUSE WITH NO CONTACT to other mammals, and see is he starts havinf symptoms in about 10 days. Then u will definatley know.

1 comment:

  1. thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with us. this is sure going to help us a lot..

    The best Dog training tips

    ReplyDelete