Friday, February 5, 2010

FUNNY my great aunt is about 90 years old she can and will cook opossum?

iv never tried it but i would.


do you have any family members like that?


and if they cooked it would you try it?FUNNY my great aunt is about 90 years old she can and will cook opossum?
How do you cook it? Have a recipe?





Funny how over the years, tastes change. I read through some old recipes, late 1800's, and they used fat and gravy and meats. Not the concern about health issues and yet a lot of people lived a long time. Makes you wonder if its the chemicals, preservatives in food that causes health concerns like cholesterol.FUNNY my great aunt is about 90 years old she can and will cook opossum?
No I have heard that they are greasy and they eat the Road-kill , I don't think I would like to digest anything that could digest me. I also had a pet possum from the Washington State Zoo that we raised until it got too mean and we had to give it back, Its mama became road-kill and left behind eight babies and the Zoo took them in, and we took one to help raise a few years ago and it got real mean after about nine or ten months so we gave it back. So as for eating it , NO NO NO.... Lets give it to Mikey , He'll try anything....
That sounds about right.





My father-in-law is from the backwoods of Pennsylvania. When he was a kid, all the boys took their guns to school, just so they might bag family dinner on the way home. He'd cook any animal he killed-- squirrel, bird, or anything else. His rabbit was killer, and his venison was always a wonderful gourmet meal. These older folks needed any source of protein they could get to survive, used all parts of the animal, and they know how to prepare and cook it.





Personally, I'd try her opossum. Frog legs and snails are out, for me, however...
my grandpa always tells me stories of how they ate opossum during the depression ( i find this hard to believe since his family was fairly wealthy and he tends to tell tales). i guess if you get hungry enough, you'll eat anything.





opossum's are too rodent-like in my opinion, so no, i wouldn't try it....even if it was smothered in the most delicious gravy!
I think thats just sad that some people don't know what an opossum is.


Yeah, my great uncle is a big hunter, and every now and again he'll find an opossum. I've never been around to try it, since they live about 4 hours away, but I hope to catch it some time, or just kill one myself.
I've had it. Not crazy about it, but it isn't awful. I do have family members that would and do.





But really, have you SEEN a possum? Icky. Those things are so nasty. Mean, vicious, wasteful. I have a relative who will literally eat roadkill. Scoop it up and put it in a pot! Goooood eatin'....GAG.
Hmmm I don't think I would eat it on purpose. But if you ground it up and made sandwich meat out of it I might not know exactly what it was. Then maybe...they just seem like rats to me ugh ;( but you try it and let the rest of us know !
wat dat??

No comments:

Post a Comment