Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How can I tell between a red fox and an opossum without actually seeing it?

Across my street is a den. The snow has tracks in it, but I can't identify what animal it is. Whatever it is eats hot dogs and eggs, and I found some dead bird feathers. There has been pee around the woods. So is it an opossum or red fox.How can I tell between a red fox and an opossum without actually seeing it?
There almost isn't enough information to distinguish between the two as everything you write is appropriate for either animal.





If you can look closely at the tracks, opossum track are quite distintive.





Another distinction is that opossums will climb up trees and light poles where foxes will not. Opossums will climb across the wire from pole to pole. So if you find some tracks ending at a light pole, then its an opossum.





A quick search on ';opossum tracks'; or ';red fox tracks'; would have given you this information. I used this to confirm my answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment