Friday, February 5, 2010

How do I get rid of an Opossum?

I had one go into my barn at like 4:30 this morning!


It ate my baby chicks and riald up the rest.





Animal control really cant to much so how do


I prevent it from coming back.





I know it will be back so how should I catch it and get rid of it!!!!???





HELP!!!How do I get rid of an Opossum?
Follow the suggestions of the friend who gave you all the tips in the earlier post and make your farm as opossum proof as possible. Then set a trap to catch it. For getting rid of it, opossums are small animals, so any caliber rifle or handgun cartridge will do the trick. These animals are dangerous and can carry nasty diseases so be careful trapping and shooting it. If you just trap it and then let it go in the woods, I promise it will come back just as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow.How do I get rid of an Opossum?
You should lock up all your garbage, feed your pets indoors, and otherwise clean up the area of any food. Next thing you should do is secure the area your chickens are in by burying the fence 1 ft in the ground(not that hard it will take maybe a few hours tops), making sure it has a really secure top(chicken wire or avairy cloth with a projection of chicken wire like / slanting to the outside of the fence atleast one half feet tall and fairly steep with pointy ends left intact), and making sure there are no areas that the possum can get in by.





I'm really sorry about your chicks, but the only thing to be done is make the area possum proof. Getting rid of it without solving the issue of animals being able to get to your chickens will only open up a nice territory to the next one that comes along. You can either have an on going war with mother nature or think smart. Good luck.
get a dog or set up a trap
go to the store and get a bb gun and shoot it when it comes back
I wish we lived closer to one another,I would take it home.I have a family of possums.3 cats 2 dogs and I had a bird but my animal sitter let him out his cage while her bloody dog was there,no more bird.I love all animals.
really!!! that is sad, did it get all of them? i should have stolen them when I had the chance!!! oh and how is loretta? i keep forgetting to ask, i miss her so much!! and all the others
Trapping with a steel jawed trap or you could purchase a live trap from most farm supply stores.You may want to keep setting the trap after you catch the possum,Its probably knot the only culprit.To dispatch the animal in the trap-you can shoot it through the wire, immediately hosing all blood off of the trap so it keeps catching other varmints-Or if your knot a gun owner you may submerge the trap in water(this is very humane also).

No comments:

Post a Comment