Friday, February 5, 2010

Can an opossum kill a cat?

We found an opossum under our house a week after our house cat disappeared!! Does anyone know if an opossum can kill a cat? Thanks!Can an opossum kill a cat?
Well an Opossum is basically a huge rat so I think it could kill a cat. Probably not a rough outdoor cat, but a soft kitty from inside would probably be a nice meal.Can an opossum kill a cat?
My cats have been co-existing with the opposums wandering into our backyard for years. The cats even share their food with them.





I hope your cat turns up save and sound!!

Report Abuse



What? Opossums are big rats? They are not rats.


They are not even rodents. They are MARSUPIALS like Koala Bears and Kangaroos. And very shy animals that play dead rather than fight.


**Thanks you, Seattle,** you gave an excellent answer and documented where you obtained your info!

Report Abuse



Yes, they could definately kill a cat. My cat is 17 lbs %26amp; very docile. I witnessed a large opossum climb into his kennel %26amp; attack him, unprovoked. He bit off his tail %26amp; exposed his colon. This just happened 2 days ago. My cat's fate is still up in the air (he's 14 yrs old).

Report Abuse



Listen up! If an opossum mommy with 3 babies my cat's same size. YES!!! I have a pool in my back yard plus black berry season is in full swing. Remember nautical is key to know about.

Report Abuse



Hi there...according to an opossum rescue website...Adult opossums and cats seem to have a mutual respect and leave each other alone. In general, opossums are docile, non-aggressive animals and will not attack your pets. They prefer to escape and avoid confrontations, if possible. If not, the threatened opossum may “play ‘possum”, show its teeth, or bite in self-defense, as any animal would. http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/frequent… (see Question: Will an opossum attack my pets? )
oh yes, opossum can be extremely agressive and your cat's instinct will be to fight it in order to protect its territory. Also, if you cat got frightened by the opossum, it might be hiding out hoping it leaves. I would remove the opossum immediately if I were you.
Yes, a possum can definitely kill a cat. While it would not attack a cat (unless rabid), it would easliy kill if attacked. They have very sharp teeth and claws-- similar to a wolverine.
Sure, an opossum can kill a cat, typically, they wouldn't, but if a cat was bothering it, it could bite and they have a pretty lethal set of teeth.
Opossums are quite aggressive and if it's hungry or bothered by a cat, it can definitely kill one. I would advise to keep any and all animals indoors at night to prevent issues. I hope you can find your cat though.
Yes, they certainly can. I've seen a pack of them gang up on a cat. If I had not come out swinging the broom she would have been torn to pieces! I HATE opossums! They are the ugliest animals I can think of. When I get to Heaven, I'm going to ask God what he was THINKING!!!! :-) Chiggers too!
Its possible, but not very likely.
of course an opossum can kill a Kat...my cat was kill by an opossum too i hate them...

No comments:

Post a Comment