Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My opossum has become a finnicky eater. What should I do?

My opossum is eight months old and would always eat what he was given. But because MBD is often caused by wrong diet, I am finding it dificult to feed him and keep his calcium/phosphorous ratio's at the right place. The ratio's need to be 2-to-1 so as not to get this debilitating disease. I am open to any suggestions as to a proper or nutritionally correct diet for him, since the one I have been using is not working for him at this time. Remembering that he cannot ingest too much protein makes it extremely difficult to feed him. And I do supplement him with calcium drops in his water to make sure his calcium level stays where it needs to be. Are there any opossum lovers out there that can help me out with this problem? This is my second opossum that I have raised and since I did not experience this problem with my first opossum I am not sure what to do to make sure that he remains in good health. He just wants to eat everything that he can't have for some strange reason. HELP!My opossum has become a finnicky eater. What should I do?
Firstly, these are wild animals and should not be kept as pets, for they rarely last beyond their first year, let alone their third year because diet is such a difficult thing with them.





But, to give you credit, you have obviously done your research. Understanding their propensity to MBD is huge.





A daily diet of yogurt, grapes/fruit, and cat kibble is the standard...but I would contact NOS or the National Opossum Society. Although specializing in the health of orphaned possies, they seem to be continually working to tweak possie diets to best meet their nutritional needs.





LorinneMy opossum has become a finnicky eater. What should I do?
My hubby brought me two baby opossums whos mother was killed on the road. They were a boy and girl and I named them Bonnie and Clyde. I had to feed them with a bottle they were so small. They lived about 3 1/2 years and both died fairly close together. They were very happy and loveable.

Report Abuse



not supposed to be a pet, they are wild animals and like raw meat? I think, does anybody know what possoms eat? i thought they eat roadkill, but they are usually roadkill themselves, does that make them cannibals?
ummmm....isnt that a WILD animal...key word=WILD...as in not house pet
Umm I am not sure what to say. They are sure cute as babies but boy do they get ugly as adults! I found this site informative. http://www.opossum.org/ Hope you figure it out. GOOD LUCK!
Looks like you already had 1 rehabber answer you. I rehab also. Contact wildlife rehab thru any ASPCA in your area, or on the web NOS they will help you, and you will get more of the same speech about wild animals survive best in a natural habitat. Good Luck
Opossum, seems like rat, that's not cute.I suggest to raise another cute pet,for example a.................wolverine, :)

No comments:

Post a Comment