Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What size caliber and velocity do I need to humanely bring down a raccoon or opossum with an air rifle?

If you have taken a coon or opossum with an air rifle,what did use and just how effective was the shot(s)???What size caliber and velocity do I need to humanely bring down a raccoon or opossum with an air rifle?
For animals the size of raccoon and opossum, you're best served by a .22 or .25 caliber gun that generates 25+ ft-lbs of muzzle energy. (Something like a Walther Falcon Hunter .25 (25 grain pellet at 650 fps) or a Sumatra 2500 in .22 (.28 grain @ 1060) or .25 (.34.9 grain @900-1000 fps) would be a good choice.) Less powerful guns can take raccoons, but aren't recommended because they are less likely to deliver 1 shot kills and are more likely to wound animals which may get away if shot placement isn't absolutely perfect. This is especially true of .177 caliber guns that have around 15 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.What size caliber and velocity do I need to humanely bring down a raccoon or opossum with an air rifle?
The velocity should be around 1000 fps. I dropped a woodchuck in his tracks with a remington air rifle that shoots around that speed. It was a 15 ft shot into the back of the head that did him in instantly. There was no exit wound so the pellet probably bounced around inside the scull a little to do some damage. It was quick and with the scope, it was a very accurate shot. Make sure that you can shoot with accuracy no matter which air rifle you get. Accuracy=humane kill.
a .22 caliber air rifle and 650 fps. go for a head shot. use pointed or hunting pellets. maximum range approx 7 yards.





I used a Chinese made B3-1 air rifle with a BSA 4x32mm scope. Its a cheap, industrial-grade pellet gun that's pretty powerful and not particularly accurate. that particular day my regular pest control gun I had taken apart for a deep clean. It took 3 shots to kill the raccoon. One shot to slow it down (it was moving at the time), quick reload, another to completely stop the animal, and the third at extremely close range (muzzle approx a foot from animal) to make sure is dead. I think the 2nd shot killed it, but I wanted to make sure it died right away rather than slowly bleeding to death.





My Chinese B3-1 pellet rifle I bought at a gun show, it was $20. not bad for a $20 gun. I got about 2000 pellets for $10 more. And $5 for the BSA scope.





I usually use a .22LR rifle with subsonic ammo (so neighbors don't hear me). Normally that's one shot, two at the most. I pick a spot on the animal I want dead and pull the trigger. so long as the bullet hits a good deal of flesh it doesn't really matter where the shot is placed, the animal dies anyway. The longest range I've done that was about 35 yards.
I would suggest a .22 or .25 air rifle. but killing them with a .177 is VERY possible. Anything 1000 FPS and over with the bigger calibers and anything over 1200 FPS with the .177 I have killed woodchucks with 850 FPS .177 airguns, i would recommend JSB Predator Pellets, in .177 and .22. they are the most amazing hunting pellets ever created. they are expensive but worth every penny.
12ga for humane kill with buck shot to the head. A tough old coon or possum won't feel a little air gun. A good shot to the head with a 22 to the head will do.





My brother and I tried to kill a possum and coon a few times that kept coming to the house causing havoc with 2'; 3ft long heavy metal pipe to no avail. We whacked them 20-25 times as hard as we could and they just ran away.Tough critters......
Raccoon hunt - 50ft-lb air rifle


http://www.americanairgunhunter.com/racc鈥?/a>





I would prefer something like the .22 caliber AirForce Condor or Evanix Hunting Master AR6, both of which have a ME around 65ft-lbs
Air rifles are underpowered for Raccoons and Possums. I suggest a .22LR would be a much better choice. There are plenty out there for less $$ than an air rifle. Have a look at the Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22.





Ian M
It can't be done. The animal will suffer. 22 long rifle is the minimum, and then ONLY if you KNOW you can get a clean heart or brain shot.
.22 lr powderburner with at least 40 grain round going 1200 fps. Airguns are not good for large varmints. You will injure them. No ability to do a follow up shot. They will attack you.

No comments:

Post a Comment