Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Whats the best way to make dung beetle soup with opossum liver?

I had it in china at a restaurant. I would like to know how to make it myself because I invited my date over tomorrow to feast this great dish with me. also Where can i get the dung beetles for the soup??Whats the best way to make dung beetle soup with opossum liver?
There are thousands of species of dung beetles (Scarabaeidae), occurring worldwide wherever dung is found. Most are edible. Find the dung, and you find the first ingredient of your soup.





Then you must locate a possum liver. They are abundant in the northeast US. Drive along any road at night until you see one trying to cross the road. Straddle it with your car, using the undercarriage to kill it, since hitting it directly with your tire can damage the liver. The alternative is to find an already dead one on the side of the road (the internal temperature should still be above 78 degrees farenheit to ensure freshness).





To make the stock:





Boil the possum carcass (minus the liver) with the dung (found with the beetles) and a couple of old gym socks. Reduce by 1/2. Add the live beetles (head first so you don't hear them scream), stirring occasionally and then add more water. Reduce by 1/3, and add the possum liver, cut into one inch cubes. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes, while the residual heat cooks the liver to a perfect medium temperature.





Cheers!


Baron Von LipwigWhats the best way to make dung beetle soup with opossum liver?
Possum is a southern delicacy. We don't have them in the northeast. Maybe you got a beaver. Just as tasty.

Report Abuse



The state website for Kentucky has 3 versions of this recipe. You can get the beetles off of your local dung pile. Enjoy!
Good luck finding dung beetles this time of year, you're about 2 months late, I believe you have to come up with another menu Item, good luck explaining this to your g/f
Thats disgusting!
Well, I must say that the responses posted for this question are delightfully entertaining. I laughed so hard that I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes. Baron Von Lipwig, you deserve a Best Answer. Here's hoping you receive it.
Have you told him what you are cooking !??!?!? If you like him and want to date him again, I think I would try to cook something else.
Dung beetles may not be the best ';date food';.
Please don't make it.
And they say haggis is disgusting! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment