Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My dog was near a opossum and he may of made contact with it, what should I do?

My sister was watching my dog because he had to pee and he went under the bushes and, to what my sister said, was sniffing the opossum and the opossum was playing dead but she thinks my dog made contact and touched the opossum with his nose.My dog was near a opossum and he may of made contact with it, what should I do?
my dog did the same thingMy dog was near a opossum and he may of made contact with it, what should I do?
Its okay. Opossums can't give your dog rabies (as their core body temperature is far too low for them to support it).





I live in a populated city, but every once in a while we'll get the nasty little things, and my dogs will, too, try to get at it. One of my dogs succeeded in shocking it into the 'dead' position: http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/707/d鈥?/a>





Search your dog to see if he sustained any bites, if he has, take him to the vet in the morning and have him looked over there.





Other than that, I'd say that you're fine. They generally don't bite, they just make nasty faces and growl. If your dog was bitten though, he may contract a different disease.
Opposums crawl along the fence teasing my dog (big yella hound), so he %26amp; I have a deal: if I can knock 'em into the yard with a shepard's hook, he gets to play with 'em.
You should relax. Unless your dog was bit there is nothing to worry about. Rabies is passed through skin breaking bites NOT simple contact with his nose.
no danger in that...





only if the possum had rabies...and bit your dog...would you have problems...

No comments:

Post a Comment