Friday, February 5, 2010

Where can I get a baby opossum?

Like the kind you find in your backyard? I KNOW you can keep them for pets. Please dont make a comment like ';why would you want them they are ugly'; or '; they are wild animals you cant have them as pets'; ect ect ect.





People actually do have opossums, squirrels, racoons, and other animals like that for pets.





Anyway, where can I find one?Where can I get a baby opossum?
Depending on the state that you live in and how strict the laws are you may just be able to get one by calling your local fish and wildlife and asking them for the name of your nearest wildlife rehab where you can learn about the proper way to foster and care for baby opossums and then, when the time comes that an unreleasable baby comes along, you can apply to keep it.


I adore opossums and have shared my life with two of the best.


Just make sure that you go through the proper channels and that you learn the proper way to care for these marvelous animals.


~Tyed~


http://flickr.com/photos/23157992@N06/22鈥?/a>





http://flickr.com/photos/23157992@N06/22鈥?/a>Where can I get a baby opossum?
Possums like raccoons are not tame. They bring grief to their owners and friends.
I know some native people who rescue baby possums from road kill incidents. When the mom possums are hit by cars while trying to cross roads, they sometimes have babies in their pouches. You have to be quick, but sometimes you can obtain a baby opossum in this manner. Watch out for cars, btw.
Really I don't know why you would want one, but I get them all the time in my live traps, and take them down the road and let them loose, they are evil little creatures.
Well, you can't keep a wild-caught opossum as a pet, that's for sure.


You can look for exotic pet shops %26amp; breeders, to find a captive-bred opossum.


Where would you look? I don't know, I would start with the internet, I suppose.





Do you know the dietary requirements for an opossum? They're not too easy to feed, they have quite a diet.
you can only keep a wild animal if you have a permit and in some states you cant even do that, i would check with your local fish and game department, but i hear that they are really mean animals and can carry diseases so i dont know if you would actually want to have one
I know that people in the GTA have been commenting about the opossums around here.
I had a baby possum, he was found in the garbage and I took him in, his name was Stormy. He was just a baby but soon grew up...I wanted to get him neutered (for aggression reasons around breeding seasons) and I called many vets..no one would neuter a wild animal. I called one vet and they told me to call (gave me a phone #) to see what they could do for him, so I called...it was the Department of Natural Resources and they told me that it was illegal for me to keep him as a pet..and if i didnt bring him to the wildlife center they were going to fine me $1000 dollars and euthinize the possum becuse they had my name and phone # on their called ID. I reluctantly and very saddly took Stormy there, and I wasnt allowed to know what happened to him...I loved that stinky marsupial.





I do own a skunk now, he was bred in captivity, someone bought him and didnt know the proper way to feed him, he became sick and had sezures then they dropped him off at a rescue.... then i rescued him.......I need to have a permit for him and it needs to be renewed every yr. But he is a brat, and everything has to be his way...if the dogs are in the way, he will charge and get them to move..get them to move away from their food bowls. My skunks name is Boombee!!





The rescue lady I got my skunk from has Raccoons, skunks, squirls, a wild pig....all with permits though!!





It takes certain people to own outragious animals (and provide all the proper care) and for that I salute you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment