Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How do I get rid of an opossum without hurting my cats?

The opossum is in my backyard and kepps eating my cats food. We're afraid he'll hurt someone.How do I get rid of an opossum without hurting my cats?
How do you know it's a ';he';? Have you checked?How do I get rid of an opossum without hurting my cats?
I have been abused by opossums in my patio. They hiss at me, at my grandsons, and at our puppy.


Would you like these pests to come live in your yard? Come and get them!

Report Abuse



Don't listen to the fool that recommended anti-freeze. Please don't ever do that to any animal. Antifreeze poisoning is a horrible way to die and it can take up to 72 hours. It's very painful, and very cruel.

Report Abuse



We used to have that problem when I was growing up. My dad kept a BB gun near the back door. If you shoot it with a BB gun ti will not kill them, but it will deter them from wanting to eat in your yard. Good luck!!
The best way to deter the opossum is to remove what it is eating. Try only feeding your cats indoors; or if they are outdoor only cats feed them only during daylight hours when opossums are less likely to be out and about.





It's not likely that the opossum will actually harm any of your cats. I have had an opossum eat in peace with several cats so long as there is enough food to go around for all. I'm definately not saying that it isn't a possibility that it could bite one of them, just letting you know my experiences.
They sell live traps you can buy to trap him. Put a can of cat food in it and then you can take it far away from your home and let it go in the woods. Please don't kill the opossum. It's not his fault he's not looking to cause trouble he's just trying to eat. You can also call the local animal control to come relocate the animal. They'll do it free.
Trap with cornbread and buttermilk, they love it.
live trap then relocate a couple states away!

No comments:

Post a Comment