Friday, February 5, 2010

I Found A Baby Opossum, It's Mother Is Dead, What Should I Feed It?

Hey all, I have just found a baby Opossum and was wondering, what should I feed it? I have been giving it raw meats/hamburger because I know they love meat, but what else should I give it? ThanksI Found A Baby Opossum, It's Mother Is Dead, What Should I Feed It?
We kind of had the same experience tonight actually. We've had a baby opossum in our back yard for 4 nights now. Apparently the neighbors to the back of us cleaned up a big pile of sticks and brush and there was a family living under it all. Our dogs always find the little guy around 2am, and they just bark like crazy because they're scared of him. Anyways, the opossum wasn't tiny (like just out of the pouch) but it was about the size of a women's size 8 shoe (odd comparison I know, lol). Sooo, I just googled opossums and found tons of info all about them, including diet. Even wikipedia has good info on their diet. ';Didelphimorphs are opportunistic omnivores with a very broad diet. Their diet mainly consists of carrion and many individual opossums are killed on the highway when scavenging for roadkill. They are also known to eat insects, frogs, birds, snakes, small mammals, and earthworms. Some of their favorite foods are fruits, and they are known to eat apples and persimmons. Their broad diet allows them to take advantage of many sources of food provided by human habitation such as unsecured food waste (garbage) and pet food.';





Anyways, good luck!! We think our little opossum just couldn't find a way out of our fence so we just went outside (like 20 minutes ago), found em and put him over the fence. It made us feel better because we could hear other opossums on the other side of the fence so we're hoping he was 'reunited'. He was a cutie pie too.I Found A Baby Opossum, It's Mother Is Dead, What Should I Feed It?
well this is the wrong section, but depending on how little the little guy is i would go to the local pet store and get cat milk for kittens and a bottle for animals. I don't know how big he is but i doubt he is ready to eat meat.. call a vet just to be sure and see if they will take him.


your not going to be able to care for this Animal so is there a ASPCA near buy or a zoo that takes estranged animals. cause it will need to be put back in the wild when its old enuf. there not domesticated and could carry deiasses.
Those critters any anything.





I've had a problem with them getting into my garbage so they aren't picky eaters at all.





You are a better person than me. I can't stand those things since they've caused me so much grief by getting into my house by some still unknown hole in my house.
call your local wild life rescue- that would be better than animal control. usually their way of ';controlling'; is to kill. the local wildlife rescue will try to raise it and release it into the wild. At the local wildlife rescue here there are plenty of baby possums. They are pretty cute
Do you know anybody who has a cat or dog that just had babies? You could let it feed off of one. just an idea. I am sure there are some websites on wildlife. or try this website. or go on google. Good luck














www.2ndchance.info/raisepossum
I know you won't like this answer but go ahead and have it put down. You can't release it into the wild and expect it to survive later on, and I highly doubt you want to keep it around. It could also have rabies. Maybe that's what killed the mom?
Let it die-they're vermin. And the mother may just be playing dead to get you to go away.
I would call animal control and have them take care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment