Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How in the world do you catch an opossum?

I have a lot of opposums that wander up in my yard to try and steal food from my cats and ducks.Will an opposum bite you?I have actually fed one with a spoon and it didnt seem scared of me.I am going to have to keep them from going under my house they dig up in my insulation and piss and **** in it in have had to take most of it out,what to do?How in the world do you catch an opossum?
You'll need a trap big enough to catch a cat or dog. Include an apple with some peanut butter on it inside the trap. The traps can be found at the local animal shelters or sporting goods stores and are well worth the money. I've lost at least one cat from an opossum and that's too many.





But, I urge you to use a humane trap which won't hurt the animal. The opossums are only carrying out their own instincts. I hope you'll only trap him and take him out into the woods for release. I don't condone any trap that injures or kills any animal.How in the world do you catch an opossum?
Put %26amp; keep your cat %26amp; duck food where the opossum can not get to it!!!!!!!


They love cat food.


YES!! They can %26amp; will bite!!! Best to stay away from them all together. The reason they are not afraid is because they are use to people. People have been moving into their areas %26amp; they get use to that %26amp; easy pickins on the food. As for keeping them out from under your house, block up %26amp; secure the entrance to the crawl spaces.....
It is true that opossum are easy to catch. You can use the Hav-A Hart live traps mentioned above, which can be purchased at any hardware store. These are over priced but you can also make your on trap from wood. You can find details at: www.havahart.com/bulletin/_disc1/00001d5鈥?. It is legal to live trap oppossums in any state.





Steel traps work, but of course you do not want to use them, because your cats and ducks would probably be the first ones to try it out.





The apple and peanut butter is a great suggestion, but you will also catch squirrels. A can of tuna or cat food works great, but of course you have to keep the cats out. Any thing that smells strong will work fine, even if it is a little rotten.





Opossums go by sense of smell. They do not see well, that is why you were able to fed one with a spoon. It didn't realize any danger, it just smelled food. Opossums will usually not bite unless they are cornered. Be careful once they are trapped. They will try to scare you by showing their teeth and hissing and growling. Given the chance they may play dead, or ';play opossum';.





They are not toxic, but like any wild animal, they do have a lot of bacteria in their mouth. If bitten, wash the area and use an antiseptic. It would be wish to have it looked at buy a Professional. Good possum huntin'.
What a nuisance! You can limit their accessibility to under you home by surrounding the perimeter of your home with strong wire. I've also heard that spreading human hair around repels them. As far as catching them you can get a box trap and put the cat food inside it and catch the possums one at a time. Better yet just take away the cat food and their interest in your home should decrease.
I have always fed my oppossums with my cats. my Oppossums don't begin to hurt my cats. But, I've always read that all you have to do is put food in a cat cage, one that snaps shut when they go in for the food. I've found that oppossums really like fried chicken.





My oppossums aren't really scared of me, but the don't really trust me either. I've fed them since birth and never tried to harm them. They know that I feed them, but they have the natural instinct to be afraid. I have read that they are simple to cage though. I don't know how many cats you have, but I figured that I would catch my cats before the oppossums.





I personally love my oppossums, you obviously don't. I hope you can catch them and let them out somewhere far away where they can still survive without being a pain to you.
cat food and a cage will catch many possums, they especially like Kentucky Fried Chicken, get one of those live traps and use cat food as bait, you'll probably catch more than you know what to do with and be careful they do bite and it hurts, they have many, many sharp pointed teeth
I had this same problem.First you have to buy a cage that will shut when weight is pressed down (I don't know what it's called). You can get it at walmart.When you get the cage put some cat food in it and wait until morning and there should be a oppasum in there.
you have to use the sacrificial pygmy goat on sale a few pages back to hunt it down and then you call animal patrol.


~ole`~
Depending on where you live, you might have to call animal control. YES! Opossums can bite, and their bites can be toxic as they eat carrion. Live trapping them is fairly easy, if it is legal in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment